Maruka (まるか)

***** (rating 3/5)
29-4 Shinko, Komatsujima Cho, Komatsujima City, Tokushima, Japan
Phone: 090-7575-3725
Operating House: around 11:00 till sold out (closed on Sundays, and some other days from time to time)

I was pretty surprised to learn that there is a shop selling Hainanese Chicken Rice in Komatsujima, Tokushima in Japan.  Since I learned that such shop existed, I always wanted to come around and try their chicken rice.  Unfortunately Komatsujima is too far from my office to fetch a lunch box.  Moreover, they do not open on Sundays which makes me difficult to visit them on a weekend, as I am usually away from Tokushima on Saturdays.

I got a chance to visit Ronden area, which is a mere 5 to 10 minute drive to the shop.  It was a Saturday and just before 11 AM, so the perfect opportunity to viist the shop and try their chicken rice.

We arrived there at around quarter to eleven and shop was still closed.  Just to make sure they would open the shop, I called their number and asked them if they would be open today.  The guy at his mobile phone assured me that he was going to open the shop soon.  We decided to take a walk around Komatsujima port (in fact it was a very nice walk) and came back to the shop 15 minutes later.

We were the first customers on that day, and I ordered four places of chicken rice.  They have four types of sauce and we decided to go for garlic and chili sauce and ginger sauce.  Since I heard that they were a take away shop, I asked the guy to pack the food, but we soon found that they had tiny eating terrace area outside and we decided to have our chicken rices there (we get a bowl of soup for each chicken rice if we eat in).

The guy scooped rice over to our plates and put chopped chicken on top of the rice.  He finally pour sauce over the chicken and gave them to us.

There were differences from chicken rice we are familiar with (Hainanese chicken rice in Singapore).  First of all, in Singapore, chili or ginger sauce is put in a small container and separated from chicken rice.  People there usually dip their chicken into the sauce and eat it.  Secondly, the chicken rice here tasted too much soy sauce, hence pretty salty.  Despite those differences, their chicken rice was pretty good.  I never thought Japanese rice goes well with this type of cooking but it was not bad at all (you might know that Thai or long rice is pretty different from Japanese sticky rice, in its texture and fragrance).  Their soup was pretty nice too.
I wanted to speak to the shop owner but being a one man show, he was pretty busy taking orders, cooking and serving.  So I could not really chat with him.  He seemed to have been to Thailand and Malaysia and learnt some Thai and Malay cooking over there.

Well, I think it is pretty surprising to see south east Asian food here in Komatsujima.  I will be back when I have another chance.


View The Ultimate Subjective Guide in a larger map

Comments

Popular Posts